Sunday, December 11, 2016

Oil-Less Roux

I love Cajun food but using a roux to thicken gumbo just does not fit into my desired to eat healthier. Yes I know I just posted a recipe for Bacon Waffles, but in my defense I made them but did not eat them.

I found a recipe on Food.com to brown all purpose flour in the oven and then use that in stead of a roux.



Oil-less Roux

Preheat the oven to 400F. Place a cup of all purpose flour in a baking pan. Bake in the center of the oven for about 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until it becomes a dark tan color.

Allow to cool. Sift the flour into an airtight container until ready to use.

Use in place of the same amount of the baked flour as you would the unbaked flour in your recipe and omit the fat used to make the roux.

No comments:

Post a Comment