Sunday, October 5, 2014

Caprese Salad with Carrot Top Pistou

Pistou is pesto without the nuts.
I love caprese salad. The sliced tomatoes and mozzarella topped with pesto is just such a yummy combination. This week in the farm share I got these beautiful carrots with the feathery tops still attached so I started googling to see what I could do with the tops. What I would was a delicious pesto which brought the caprese salad I was making for a party to a whole new level.

Carrot Top Pistou
adapted from http://livinthecrunchylife.blogspot.com/2014/02/carrot-top-pesto-roasted-carrots.html
2 cups carrot tops
1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
pinch of
salt
6 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil (I use 6)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Add carrot tops to bowl of a food processor and pulse briefly. Add basil, garlic, salt, lemon juice and cheese. Process until finely chopped. Add olive oil slowly through the feed tube until smooth, adding more oil to preference. Adjust flavors as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment