Sunday, February 27, 2011

Brownies from Scratch

My 8th grade science teacher made the best brownies. I have kept her recipe all of these years. Now I get to pass it down to Nick who actually said "Cooking is starting to be fun!"
Mrs. Kourkoulas' Brownies                           
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sifted flour
3 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (optional
Melt the butter and chocolate together in double boiler. (I was brought up thinking this was a special type of pan. When I moved out on my own I could not find one so I just use a bowl set of a pot of water that was brought to a boil then reduced to a simmer.)
In bowl blend sugar and eggs. Add the vanilla and salt and mix until combined. Add chocolate mixture
and finally add flour slowly. Scrape down the sides to make sure it is all combined.
Bake at 375 degrees in a greased (cooking spray) 9x9" pan for approximately 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment