Saturday, September 11, 2010

Todd English's Corn Stock

Todd English is one of my favorite chef's & restaurateurs. Figs and Olives in Charlestown, MA are two of my favorite restaurants. I plan to make Corn Chowder this weekend to use the corn from my farm share this week. I made a Todd English swordfish recipe a long time ago that used corn stock as a base for a sauce. Instead of water or vegetable stock I thought I would try making my chowder with his corn stock. I cook the corn, removed it from the cobs and then used the cobs to make the stock - a very cost effective stock.

1/2 leek, well washed and cut on the bias (I used a shallot because I did not have a leek)
 2 celery stalks, cut on the bias
8 corn cobs, with corn kernels removed and reserved for the chowder
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 large bunch thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 ham hock (optional) - I opted not
6 clams, scrubbed and debearded (optional)  - I opted not but if I were to be making clam and corn chowder I would definitely do it.
8 cups chicken broth or water, or to cover - I used chicken broth
In a large stockpot, place the leek, celery, corn cobs, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns and, if desired, the ham hock and clams. Cover with the chicken broth or cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to low and simmer uncovered, for 2 hours. 
Strain and discard the solids. (This should yield about 6 cups.)

No comments:

Post a Comment