Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock

It's not that I'm cheap because I will spend a lot of money on things other people think are crazy. I do justify my more extravagant expenditures by being frugal in other ways. Just like I make my own vegetable stock from kitchen scraps, I do the same for chicken stock.
We had a luncheon at work in celebration of National Rehabilitation Week. One of the luncheon items I served was Chicken Caesar Salad. To keep the meal easy and frugal I purchased two rotisserie chicken from Costco. Once I pulled all the meat off the bones, I brought the bones home threw them in a pot with about a quarts of reserved vegetable scraps. Covered it all with water and brought the pit to a simmer. After simmering for about 24 hours, it was the most flavorful chicken stock. All from parts and pieces that would have been thrown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment