Friday, August 22, 2014

Savory Green Beans

I love green beans. Just give be a bowl with some butter salt and pepper and I am good to go. But I am trying to get away from the fat and calories so I am playing with some different ways to enhance flavor.
To get a rich beef stock or broth many recipes will tell you to use twice as much beef bouillon cubes or crystals to water or to reduce canned stock. I think this methods gets too salty. I like to use Penzey's Beef Soup Base (1 tsp. to 1/2 cup). It creates a very rich flavorful broth without all the salt.

Savory Green Beans
1/2 cup rich beef broth or stock
2 Tbsp. chopped green pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped shallot
1 tsp.dill seed

1/2 tsp. dill weed
Steamed green beans

Combine all ingredients except the green beans in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the favors meld. Add the beans. Cover and simmer until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment