Sunday, May 1, 2011

Artichokes with Lemon Dipping Sauce

Not only had I never cooked fresh artichokes, I had never eaten one until last night. So much for only using food that is in the house. I justified it as needing fresh fruit and vegetables.
My first step was to look at some instructional videos such as:
How to Cook an Artichoke

How to Eat an Artichoke
I was ready to go! So besides making the garlic butter from the video I also made a creamy lemon sauce which we much preferred. There was a lot leftover which we think will be great with fried calamari later this week.
Artichokes with Lemon Sauce
2  artichokes, stems trimmed
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp fat free sour cream
2 Tbsp snipped fresh chives
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp Gulden's spicy brown mustard
1/8 tsp salt
Fill  a medium pot with 1 inch water and steamer insert. Heat to boiling on high; reduce heat to medium. Place artichokes stem side up on the rack. Cover and steam 35 minutes or until knife pierces easily through base.
Meanwhile stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, lemon juice, water, mustard, and salt. Serve artichokes with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment