Sunday, October 3, 2010

How to Roast a Pumpkin

I got a little pumpkin in my farm share last week. Definitely too little to carve so I started surfing to find out how to use it. Well it was too simple, roast it , mash it and use it in place of the canned stuff. I roasted my pumpkin and I am going to freeze the mash to make a pumpkin pie for Warren for Thanksgiving.

How to Toast a Pumpkin
1 pumpkin, cut in half or quartered depending on the size; seeds removed (and reserved for roasted pumpkin seeds)

Preheat the oven to 325F. Place the pumpkin in a baking dish with about 1 inch of water. Bake for 45-60 minutes depending on the size. You will be able to pierce the pumpkin with a fork when it is done. Let cool. Remove skin. Mash or puree in food processor for a smoother consistency.
The puree will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days or freeze for later use. Frozen pumpkin will keep for up to one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment