Sunday, July 28, 2013

Extra Lean Turkey Chili

I think I am beginning to redeem myself. I adapted this recipe from Joy Bauer's Extra Lean Turkey Chili which I got from the Today Show many moons ago. Since her recipe served 8, I cut it down to 4 servings and altered the tomatoes since my boys do not like chunks of tomatoes in anything.

 Even Nick's mystery friend liked it !!

Extra Lean Turkey Chili
1 lbs. "Extra Lean" Ground Turkey Breast

1/2  Tsp. Paprika
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp. Cumin
1/2 Tsp. Oregano
3 Tsp. Chili Powder
1/4  Onion, minced

1/4 Tsp. Ground Red Pepper 
1 Tsp. Flour
6 oz. whole tomato, pureed in a food processor

1/2 – 15oz. Can of red kidney beans

Brown ground turkey in a skillet. Drain fat. Add the tomatoes and 6 oz of water to the pan. Stir to combine.
Add garlic powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, black pepper, onion and mix well. Cover skillet and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stirring every 10 minutes
Uncover skillet, add flour and mix thoroughly.Add red kidney beans, mix and let simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

Serve with your favorite chili toppings including shredded low fat cheddar cheese, minced onion, and sour cream to name a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment